Brian was one of the founders of the studio tour over 29 years ago and has been involved with it at various capacities over the years. Currently he is on the board which has seen it through the hard times during COVID. This year marks a big come back with a record breaking 61 artist participating in the tour. We look forward to seeing you on the tour.
The 29th Whatcom Artist Studio Tour is a highly anticipated event showcasing the creative talents of artists in Whatcom County, Washington. Held annually, this self-guided tour allows art enthusiasts and the general public to visit the studios of local artists, providing a unique opportunity to engage with their creative process.
During the tour, visitors can expect to explore a wide variety of artistic mediums, including painting, sculpture, ceramics, glass art, printmaking, photography, textile art, and much more. The participating artists, who are carefully selected, open their studios to the public, inviting them to witness their artistic journey firsthand.
This event offers a chance to directly interact with the artists, gain insights into their techniques, and learn about their inspirations. Visitors can engage in conversations, ask questions, and purchase artwork directly from the artists themselves. It is a wonderful opportunity to support the local art community and acquire unique pieces that reflect the talent and vision of Whatcom County artists.
Whether you are an avid art collector, a curious enthusiast, or simply someone who appreciates creativity, the 29th Whatcom Artist Studio Tour is an exciting event that should not be missed. It not only celebrates the vibrant art scene in the region but also fosters a deeper connection between artists and their audience, creating a memorable experience for everyone involved.
- Celebration of Local Art: The Whatcom Artist Studio Tour provides a platform to celebrate and showcase the rich and diverse artistic talent in the Whatcom County area. By supporting the tour, you are supporting the local art community, providing recognition and visibility to the artists who participate. It helps promote their work and gives them an opportunity to share their creative process with the public.
- Engagement with Artists: The studio tour offers a unique opportunity to directly engage with artists in their creative spaces. By visiting their studios, you can witness firsthand their work environment, see their tools, materials, and techniques, and gain insight into their artistic process. This direct interaction fosters a deeper appreciation for their art, builds connections, and allows for meaningful conversations, ultimately enhancing the overall art experience.
- Community Building: The Whatcom Artist Studio Tour plays a significant role in building a sense of community. It brings together artists, art enthusiasts, and the general public in a shared experience. It creates a supportive and inclusive atmosphere where people can come together, connect, and appreciate the beauty and creativity that thrives within the community. It helps foster a sense of belonging and strengthens the ties that bind us as a community.
- Economic Impact: The tour contributes to the local economy by attracting visitors, increasing tourism, and generating revenue. When people attend the Whatcom Artist Studio Tour, they often explore the surrounding area, visit local businesses, dine in local establishments, and potentially purchase artwork. This influx of visitors and spending has a positive impact on the local economy, benefiting artists, businesses, and the community as a whole.
- Education and Inspiration: The studio tour provides an educational and inspiring experience for people of all ages. It allows for exposure to a wide range of artistic styles, mediums, and concepts. By visiting different studios, attendees can learn about different art forms, techniques, and gain insights into the artists’ creative journeys. This exposure to art can spark inspiration, nurture creativity, and encourage artistic exploration in others.
In summary, supporting the Whatcom Artist Studio Tour helps celebrate local art, engages with artists, builds community, has an economic impact, and provides educational and inspirational experiences. It is a wonderful opportunity to immerse yourself in the local artistic scene, connect with the artists and their work, and contribute to the overall vitality and growth of the arts in the Whatcom County area.
Brian Kerkvliet’s glass art possesses unique qualities that make it highly collectable:
- Innovative and Experimental: Kerkvliet’s glass art continually pushes the boundaries of traditional glassblowing techniques. His willingness to explore new methods, materials, and processes sets him apart from other artists. Collectors are drawn to the excitement and novelty of his innovative approach.
- Limited Editions and One-of-a-Kind Pieces: Kerkvliet often creates limited edition series of his artwork, as well as one-of-a-kind pieces. This limited availability makes his art highly sought after by collectors, as it adds exclusivity to their collections. The scarcity of his pieces increases their desirability and value.
- Masterful Craftsmanship: Kerkvliet’s glass art exhibits exceptional craftsmanship. Each piece is meticulously created with attention to detail, refined techniques, and precision. Collectors appreciate the high level of skill and expertise demonstrated in his artwork, making it highly valued within the art community.
- Aesthetic Beauty: Kerkvliet’s glass art is visually stunning, showcasing a harmonious blend of color, form, and texture. His ability to create visually captivating and aesthetically pleasing pieces is a testament to his artistic talent. Collectors are attracted to the inherent beauty and uniqueness of his artwork.
- Emotional and Conceptual Depth: Kerkvliet’s work often carries emotional depth or conveys a specific concept. Whether inspired by nature, personal experiences, or broader themes, his art evokes a range of emotions and engages viewers intellectually. This emotional and conceptual resonance adds a layer of meaning and significance to his artwork, making it more collectable.
- Acclaim and Recognition: Kerkvliet has gained recognition and acclaim within the art community. His work has been featured in prestigious exhibitions, galleries, and publications. This recognition adds to the collectability of his art, as collectors seek out pieces by artists with established reputations.
Brian Kerkvliet’s glass art is unique and collectable due to its innovative nature, limited editions or one-of-a-kind pieces, masterful craftsmanship, aesthetic beauty, emotional depth, and conceptual significance. These qualities, combined with the artist’s acclaim and recognition, contribute to the desirability and collectability of his artwork.