Suppliers list for Glass Artists
- This is a short list of suppliers, books, magazines and organizations that relate to glass artists in some way shape or form. If you have a favorite supplier or book that you would like to see listed here, please let me know.
Rod, Frit and Other Glass Products
Bronze optic molds sold here!
- Bullseye Glass Co.
- 3722 SE 21st Ave. Portland Or. 97202
- (503) 232-8887
- fusing glass and lampworking rods, sheet and frit
- East Bay Batch & Color
- Therese 800 322-6567
- 200 South First St. Richmond CA 94804
- New Chec soft glass colored rod & Gaffer color bar
- C&R Loo
- Color bar and lampworking and fusing supplies
- Pacific Glass John Williams
- 125 West 157th. St. Gardena, CA. 90248
- 800 421-5170 X 22 310-516-0335
- Olympic Color Rods
- 818 John St.
- Seattle, Wa 98109
- All the color bar powder & frit you need.
- They also carry the full line of Jim Moore Tools.
- Glass Warehouse
- 800-833-0410 Fax 609-825-9014
- P.O. Box 1039 Millville NJ 08332-8039
- Duran Borosilicate tube and rods
- Kimble Glass
- 800 257-7045 Fax 800-331-2714
- 537 CRYSTAL AVE VINELAND NJ 08360
- Borosilicate tube and rods
- Glass Alchemy, Ltd.
contact: Lani Schreibstein
address: 6539 NE 59th Place
Portland OR 97218
- NorthStar Glassworks Inc.
- 503-684-6986 Fax 503-670-0978
- 9450 SW Tigard St. Tigard Or. 97223
- Borosilicate color rods, frits and powders
- Dichroic Alchemy – Liberating Creativity in Glass.
Toll Free: 1-866-4 DICHRO or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions: 541-726-7339
- colored boro tube and things
- Hacker Glass Co.
- 6306 Beach Blvd.
- Buena Park, CA 90621
- Ph. 714-521-9693 fax 714-523-0889 (Pyrex Glass)
- Thompson Enamel
- 650 Colfax Avenue, Newport KY 41073.
- Phone: (859) 291-3800. Fax: (859) 291-1849
- Merchants of Venice
- P.O. Box 327
- Riderwood, MD 21139
- 410-252-0486 (Moretti/Effetre glass)
- Hot Glass
- 231 S. Whisman Ave.
- Mountain View, CA 94041
Jim Moore ToolsPhone, Fax 360 379 2936
PO BOX 1151
Port Townsend WA 98368The best Off-hand glass blowing hand tools! Excellent! Steinert Industries, Inc.Address: 1507 Franklin Avenue – Kent, OH 44240Office phone: 330-678-0028 or 1-800-727-7473FAX number: 330-678-8238Optic molds, blowpipes and hand tools
Wale Apparatus Co. Michael DeMasiPO Box D. Hellertown, PA 91055Phone: 610-838-7047 or 800-334-Whalefax 610 838-7440 e-mail WaleApp@aol.comWale also offers a wide range of lampworking supplies. They offer torches, ovens, lathes, and just about any hand tool you might need. Get their catalog.Frantz Art Glass & supply130 West Corporate Road, Shelton WA 98584 USA.toll free 1-800-839-6712 or direct 1-360-426-6712 or fax to 1-360-427-5866.glass / beadmaking supplies, Kilns Designed by Brian Kerkvliet & Moretti up the wazoo!
Arrow Springs,4301 A Product Drive
Shingle Springs, CA 95682
Manufacturer and supplier to the flameworking Industry. Makes tools, Kilns and controllers. Has other supplies.
Litton Labs Tim O’BrienP.O. Box 950 1300 East Main StreetGrass Valley, CA 95945-0950Phone: 800-821-8866Manufacturers of the Litton glassblowing lathe.Http://www.littonengr.com
Glasscraft, Inc.626 Moss Street
Golden, CO 80401-4047
Call 303-278-4670 to place your order by phone or
toll-free 888-272-3830 Fax 303-278-4672.
L & K Tooling
350 Park Street, Waynesboro, PA 17268 Phone/Fax (717) 762-1366 Quality Custom Tooling Specializing in Tools For Glass Blowers & Lampworkers
Houde Glass Company1177 McCarter HwyNewark, NJ 07104Phone: 800-526-1275This company may require a business license before doing business; they are a wholesale distributor, but mostly of stained glass – they do offer cane of various types, and tools.
Ed Hoy’s1620 Frontenac Rd.Naperville, IL 60563-1762Phone: 800-468-4527Publishes a book on glassblowing; they require a copy of a business license before they will give the time of day to anyone!Nortell Machining Peter NortenToronto Canada (416) 438-3325Manufacturers of the minor, midrange and major burners.
Glass Torch TechnologiesGTT by phone : 610 – 838 – 2446
Premier Industries,980 Osborn Rd.N.E.Findly, Mn 55432.Phone is 612-786-4020 Fax is 612-786-5424.National blowpipes had been made for many years in Richmond, California by Veriflow corp. Now they are made by Premier Industries This new version of the old 3-A blowpipe has the same valves, and threading. It will take the same tips that one might have from any older National blowpipe.
HPC (formerly High Purity Chemical)Linda or Peggy2730 NE Riverside WyPortland, OR 97211Phone: 503-249-2985Corning stocking distributor of tubing and rod; lamp shop discount 50% (set up an account with them to buy more than a case at a time, and they will give you a 50% discount from list price.)
Northwest Art Glass,9003 151st Avenue NE, Redmond WA 98052.Phone: (206) 861-9600. (800) 888-9444. Fax: (206) 861-9300.
Big M Stained Glass3201 4th Avenue South, Seattle WA 98108.Phone: (206) 624-3962. Fax: (206) 624-2294.
D&L Stained Glass Supply, Inc.4939 N. Broadway, Boulder CO 80304.Phone: (303) 449-8737. (800) 525-0940. Fax: (303) 442-3429.
Sundance Art Glass Center231 South Whisman Road, Mountain View CA 94041.Phone: (415) 964-7248. 415-965-2266 888-4HOTGLASSGeneral supplier
Southern cross glass
21 queen street
binalong australia nsw 2584
Flameworking suplies for Australia
Glass Grinding suppliers
Hi Tech Diamond Products750 Easy st. Simi Valley, Ca. 93065805 522-6211HIS Glassworks1-800-914-7463fax 704-254-2581Magnetic diamond pads and punty grinding wheelsNovelty Stuido
13685 Sperry Rd.
Novelty, OH 44072
makes torch marvers.
Aura Lens ProductsPhone: 320/253-0919FAX: 320/253-1239Toll Free: 800/281-287251 – 8th Street NorthSauk Rapids, MN 56379Contact: Mike or Bob AureliusManufactures of AUR-92, AGW 186 safety glasses and more!
Phillips safety products700 Cedar Avenue
Middlesex, NJ 08846
Tel: 1.888.440.9797 (US)
Dichroic Coatings by SandbergGerald & Nona Sandberg856 N. Commerce St. Orange, CA 92867
We are open to the public for walk-in by appointment tue-fri 10am-3pm.We are closed Sat, Sun and Mon. We carry Spectrum, Bullseye, Uroboros, Moretti, Pyrex and Float.Allen H. Graef – Dichroic Glass31823 East Anaheim St.Long Beach, CA 90804310-494-3823Austin Thin Films Inc. Glenn Brown800 Palovan Dr. Suite 100 Round Rock,TX.512 246-1122 Fax.512 246-1133dichroic coatingsSepp Leaf Products, Inc.212-683-2840silver, gold & palladium foils
Glow GlassSedona Glow Glass Company
Moraine and Joseph Imler
1006 N. Catclaw St. Cottonwood, Az. 86326
Open 7 days a week. They have 90 and 96 coe “Glow Frit”
Jen-Ken Kilns,3615 Ventura Dr.W.,Lakeland, Fl. 33811;800-329-KILN.. Phone: (813) 648-0585. Fax: (813) 648-0585.Makes controllers and kilns.AIM KilnsTOLL FREE 800-AIM KILN (246-5456)e-mail: email@example.com
phone (541) 758-8133 FAX (541) 758-8051
Digitry Company, Inc.188 State Street Suite 21
Portland, ME 04101
Controllers, both for single and multiple kilns, thermocouples, relays, and plug boxes. Denver Glass Machinery2800 S. Shoshone Street, Englewood CO 80110.Phone: (303) 781-0980. (303) 781-0982. Fax: (303) 781-9067. TimeWork Kilns -This kiln was developed for the lampworker. They areexcellent for single pieces or large scale production work. For quick and easy access toyour work, the cantilever door lifts upwards and automatically reseats every timeit is closed for a tight fit to minimize heat loss.HUB Consolidated, inc.we have been serving the glass world with heavy equipment and tools for years.John has been designing glass tools and equipment for 15 years. We sell a full line of meltingfurnaces, glory holes, ovens, blow pipes, punties, many torches, and even more. We are a distributor of Harbisionwalker, AP Green, minteq and unifrax refractories offering very competitive pricing to glass workers.
Set point controllers
Watlow5710 Kenosha St.Richmond, Ill. 60071(815)678-2211Makes a nice, simple line of controllers that , can be mounted in a box with a relay.Check out these series: 365 analog set point, 935 digital set point with a timer,965 digital set point with a ramp, 982 has six steps and four programs, at a good price. Love Controls corp.1475 S. Wheeling Rd.Wheeling, ILL. 60090(312)541-2323 OMEGAP.O. box 2284Stamford, Ct. 06906(800)826-6342
Source for Books and Publications
Whitehouse BooksElizabeth Whitehouse (owner)Julia Whitehouse(contact person)800/935-853632 East Market St., 2nd fl Corning NY 1483Hard to find books on glassSource hard to find books on glass
Publications you should have in your library:
A Practical Guide to Shaping Glass in the Flame
Author Bandhu Dunham has served on the teaching staff at Pilchuck and Penland School of Crafts, his work is in the permanent collection of the Corning Museum of Glass. This practical how-to text and survey of modern lampworked art. Invaluable to artists and collectors alike.”If you only have one book, it would be wise to consider this one. If you have many books this will be your best one. If you are teaching glass, this book should be required reading for the class because it not only teaches what people mustlearn, it also replaces some former misconceptions with accurate information”
-As reviewed in Independent Glassblower Magazine
- History of lampworking
- Studio setup
- Basic and Advanced techniques
- making glass Beads, marbles & paperweights
- mixing and working colored Borosilicate glass
- Health and safety guidelines
- Suppliers & sources
- Annealing, decoration, and more!
- Safety Books
- HEALTH HAZARDS MANUAL FOR ARTISTS by Michael McCann, PhD, CIH. (1994).
- Health Hazards Manual for Artists. 4th ed. Lyons and Burford, New York, NY. 132 pp.
- The Artist’s complete Health and Safety Guide by Monona Rossol
- This comprehensive book describes in detail many of the toxic and hazardous substances that are
- commonly found in artist’s studios and what you can do to avoid exposure.
- Published by Allworth Press ISBN 1-880559-18-8
- Ventilation by Nancy Clark, Thomas Cutter, Jean-Ann McGrane
- A practical guide for artists, craftspeople and others in the arts. Details what is needed to achieve
- sufficient ventilation in your studio so as to minimize you exposure to bad air.
- Published by Lyons & Burford ISBN 0-94130-46-0
- Flameworking Books
- Contemporary Lampworking: A Practical Guide to Shaping Glass in the Flame by Bandhu Dunham.
- The best flameworking book! See above
- Glassblowing: An Introduction to Solid and Blown Glass Sculpturing by Homer Hoyt. Lots of
- good illustrations. Published by Crafts and Arts Publishing ISBN 0-9624404-0-x
- Scientific Glassblowing by E. L. Wheeler
- Aimed primarily at laboratory glassblowers, however this book has a lot of information that would be useful to the
- artistic Flameworker as well
- Glass: Philosophy & Method by John Burton
- Considered to be the father of lampworking in this country, John Burton shares his love of glass through historical
- pictures and his own experiences with flameworking. Out of print. ISBN 67-28894
- Creative Glassblowing by James Hammesfahr and Clair Strong
- This book describes a variety of basic lampworking techniques. Some useful info on how to make simple tools.
- Glass Technology Books
- Glass Notes: A reference for the glass artist.
- Henry Halem Studios, 429 Carthage Ave., Kent, OH 44240-2303
- ISBN 1-885663-00-5
- Henry’s book mostly focuses on equipment building with some technical process,
- A great resource for anyone wanting to build a hot shop.
- A Glassblower’s Companion
- A compilation of studio equipment designs, essays, and glassmaking ideas
- By Dudley Giberson, Jr.
- Available from Joppa Press P.O. Box 202 Warner N.H. 03278
- Ph. 603-456-3569
- ADVANCED GLASSWORKING TECHNIQUES by Edward T. Schmid
- The second book by this talented author. Check out the description above.
- Glassblowing by Frank Kulasiewicz
- This book must have been one of the first books on the scene after Harvey Littleton held his first class. The information is a bit dated but none the less a good studio book to have as a reference on the shelf. First published in 1974 by Watson Guptill Publications ISBN 0-8230-2120-3
- Glass Formulation Books
- Elements Of Glass and Glass Making by Benjamin F. Biser reprinted by Roy C. Horner
- “A Treatise designed for the practical glassmaker comprising facts, figures, recipes, and formulas for the for the manufacture of glass .. plain and colored” This book was first copyrighted in 1899 and has many tidbits of useful information for the contemporary glass artist who wishes to batch their own glass. Out of print
Magazines to check out
PO Box 260377 Highlands Ranch, CO 80163-0377Subscriptions are $24 a year. A good representation of glass art in the US today – slick, coffee-table quality magazine.Glass line
James ThingwoldP.O. Box 847 Huntington Beach, CA 92648Phone: 714-969-0240A bimonthly newsletter for lampworkers. Vol.5 #6, Vol.7, #3 & 4 have good bead articles. $25 per year; lampwork only – a very good publication, Feel free to contact them through their web page. There is also an online version a links page to all kinds of glass related sites.Society Of Glass Beadmakersnewsletter THE BEAD RELEASEMembership is $35 for individual, $45 for family/business.To join SGB and Bead Release subscriptionsThe Bead DirectoryLists the bead societies, shops, bazaars and classes.It can be found at many bead shops or directlyfrom the Bead Directory, (510) 452-0836)The Bead MuseumCONTEMPORARY GLASS BEADMAKERS140 S Montezuma Prescott, Az. 86303Ph # (602) 445-2431Catalog of show and other bead related publications. Ask for their list.The Crafts ReportPO Box 1992 Wilmington, DE 19899-9962(800)777-7098 FAX: 302-656-4894The Crafts Report is THE trade journal for the craft industry. It has categories for Crafts Wanted (retailers who want your crafts), and Crafts Available (for you to post your craft), Marketplace (for craft supplies), Shows and Fairs, Exhibitions and Wholesale Show Dates.Lapidary JournalCirculation Dept.PO box 124 Devon, PA 19333-9933This publication has occasional coverage, on glass beadsOrnament MagazineCarolyn Benesh & Robert LiuPO Box 2349 San Marcos, CA 92079Phone: 800-888-8950This publication is about things people wear, and beads are a major component of this field.Fusion magazine,1835 St. Clair Avenue, St. Paul MN 55105.Phone: (612) 696-9286. Fax: (612) 696-9287.PSG’s Glass CraftsmanP.O. Box 678 Richboro, PA 18954GlassUrban Glass647 Fulton St. Brooklyn, NY 11217-1112718-625-3685
Glass Related Organizations and Schools
The Corning Museum of GlassFor safety fact sheets and the New Glass Review application form,write to: The Rakow Library, Attn: Beth Hylen (fact sheets)One Museum Way Corning NY. 14830-2253Has a great library and very helpful staff to help on glass research projects.Glass Art Society,1305 4th Avenue, Suite 711,Seattle, Wa. 98101.206-382-1305 Fax 206-382-2630
- Society Of Glass Beadmakers
- newsletter THE BEAD RELEASE
- Membership is $35 for individual, $45 for family/business. To join SGB and Bead Release subscriptions or get the ’94 color catalog contact:
If you know of other glass resources that other glass people would be interested in please bring it to my attention. and I will post it here. Thank You!
Pilchuck Glass School315 Second Ave. S. Seattle Wa. 98104206-621-8422 Fax 517-1351The StudioThe Corning Museum1 Museum Way Corning, NY 14830607-937-5371Australian Stained Glass Supplies,39 Pyrmont Street, Pyrmont NSWAustralia 2009. Phone: (61) 2 660 7424. Fax: (61) 2 660 8888.Appalachian Center for Crafts,Route 3, Box 430, Smithville N 37166.Phone: (615) 597-6801.Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts,556 Parkway St., P.O. Box567, Gatlinburg TN 37738.Phone: (615) 436-5860. Fax: (615) 430-4101.Center for Creative Studies,245 E. Kirby, Detroit MI 48202.Phone: (313) 872-3118 ext. 201. Fax: (313) 872-8377The Alberta College of Art and Design has a BFA in glass.1407 14 Ave NW, Calgary, Albertaphone (403) 2847600Hands-On Glass,261 Baker Street, Corning NY 14830.Phone: (607) 962-3044.New Orleans School of GlassWorks,727 Magazine Street, NewOrleans LA 70130. Phone: (504) 529-7277.Pratt Fine Arts Center,3709 34th Avenue SW, Seattle WA 98126-2553.Red Deer College-Series,Box 5005, Red Deer AB Canada T4N 5H5.Phone: (403) 342-3516. Fax: (403) 340-8940.Rhode Island School of Design,2 College Street, Providence RI 02903.Sheridan College Summer School of the Arts,1430 Trafalgar Road, Oakville ON Canada L6H 2L1.Phone: (905) 845-9430 ext. 2610. Fax: (905) 815-4041.Touchstone Center for Crafts,RD 1, Box 40, Farmington PA 15437.Phone: (412) 329-1370.UrbanGlass,647 Fulton Street, Brooklyn NY 11217.Phone: (718) 625-3685. Fax: (718) 625-3889. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgWanganui Regional Community Polytechnic, Private Bag, WanganuiNew Zealand. Phone: (64) 6 345 0997. Fax: (64) 6 345 2263